Thursday, August 21, 2008

Raksha Bandhan


Raksha Bandhan was this last Saturday so this post is a little late :) I did a little google search and found the following from Wikipedia for those of you who don't know what Raksha Bandhan is.

Raksha Bandhan (the bond of protection in Hindi) is a Hindu festival, which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters. It is celebrated on the full moon of the month of Shraavana.
The festival is marked by the tying of a rakhi, or holy thread by the sister on the wrist of her brother. The elder brother in return offers a gift to his sister and vows to look after her same as elder sister return offers to younger brother. The brother and sister traditionally feed each other
sweets.

Since I learned to make friendship bracelets WAY back in middle school I thought it would be cool to make custom rakhi's for my brothers in their favorite colors. This has since been changed to a simple pattern with the traditional colors and my brothers won't wear any of the store bought ones just this one!

So to Aum, Saawan, Saajan, and Dillon all my best wishes for the next year. I love all four of you so much!


For more interesting information on Raksha Bhandan you can check Wikipedia.

No comments: